Both fans and the Sacramento Kings organization have been doing whatever they can to get big man DeMarcus Cousins sent to the 2014 NBA All-Star game. But despite valiant efforts from both, Cousins didn’t even crack the top ten frontcourt players in the second round of results released Thursday afternoon.
1. Kevin Durant (OKC) 850,728
2. Dwight Howard (Hou) 408,623
3. Blake Griffin (LAC) 399,357
4. Kevin Love (Min) 377,941
5. Tim Duncan (SA) 312,809
6. LaMarcus Aldridge (Por) 282,613
7. Anthony Davis (NO) 188,589
8. Pau Gasol (LAL) 177,883
9. Andre Iguodala (GS) 145,089
10. Dirk Nowitzki (Dal) 126,025
11. Chandler Parsons (Hou) 106,369
12. DeMarcus Cousins (Sac) 99,903
13. David Lee (GS) 89,858
14. Omer Asik (Hou) 79,591
15. Kawhi Leonard (SA) 76,110
While Cousins making the All-Star wouldn’t (and won’t) be easy in the fan vote given he’s competing against names like Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin – the fact he didn’t even crack the top ten is laughable.
Fans need to continue to press and get Cousins moved up in the rankings. It’s going to be tough for coaches and/or the commissioner (assuming there is an injury replacement) to overlook Cousins for a bench role with his statistics and continuing votes from fans.
Make sure you vote for Cousins every day by visiting NBA.com.