While many took the mid-afternoon acquisition of Luc Richard Mbah a Moute as a sign the Sacramento Kings are out of the Monta Ellis sweepstakes, that doesn’t appear to be the case – at least not according to RealGM.
Reports had suggested earlier today that Ellis was set to choose between the Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks and Sacramento Kings in the next 36-48 hours, but RealGM is reporting that the Sacramento Kings have emerged as the leading candidate for his services.
After an increasing belief the Chicago Bulls had been in position to acquire Monta Ellis, the Sacramento Kings have separated themselves as frontrunners to sign the free agent guard on a three-year contract, league sources told RealGM on Tuesday afternoon.
Ellis set up meetings with teams over the weekend and into the week, and he privately believed in recent days that joining the Bulls in a sign-and-trade between Chicago and the Milwaukee Bucks had been a growing possibility. Despite a hard push out of the Bulls, they ultimately couldn’t make the moves necessary to facilitate a potential sign and trade, a source said.